top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Some questions pop up time and again with regards to electrical training, renewable energy training and generally technical questions with regards to installations of electrical and renewable technologies such as PV installations, Electric car charging and day to day electrical work.  On this page we have answered some of the regular questions but if you don't find the answer to your question here please feel free to drop us a line and we'll try our best to answer it for you.

Part P

Part P, Defined Scope or Full Scope?

The type of work you undertake will provide you with the correct answer to this question.  Defined Scope Part P is generally for allied trades.  Persons who need to carry out a small degree of electrical work as part of their day to day job but who are not electricians per say. Central Heating Engineers, Kitchen Fitters and Bathroom Installers would typically fall in to the defined scope category.

Full Scope is for persons who require to carry out substantially more electrical work in dwellings.  This would typically be an electrician wishing to carry out full house re-wires, distribution board change overs etc.  

The confusion is generally what work am I allowed to do.  As defined scope you are allowed to carry out work on a single circuit up to the over current protective device.  As full scope you are allowed to change the over current protective device and work on multiple circuits.

17th Edition


I've got my 17th Edition, Do I have to upgrade to amendment 1?​

Providing you currently hold the 17th edition qualification there is no requirement to upgrade to amendment 1.  Amendment 1 is the Green Book which came out in June of 2011.  All electrical work must now be designed and installed to amendment 1, this has been the case since 31st December 2011.

There is no longer a short update qualification for candidates who are 16th edition wishing to upgrade to 17th edition as 17th edition has been in force since 2008.  It is considered that this is too long a time to sit the short upgrade so City & Guilds have withdrawn the upgrade qualification of 30 questions.

Become an Electrician

What qualifications do I need to become an Electrician?


Anybody wishing to work as an electrician in the UK must be deemed as a competent person.  According to the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and BS7671:2008 17th edition wiring regulations, a competent person is a person having sufficient knowledge and understanding and relevant practical experience of the particular type of work being undertaken, so as to prevent danger or injury to him / herself and others.

The basic qualifications recognised by most competent persons scheme are: 17th edition wiring regulations BS 7671:2008 and Part P wiring in domestic installations.  This is dependent on the type of work the candidate is undertaking.

Earthingof a PV Array

Do I Need To Earth a PV Array?

The DTI Guide to Photovoltaic (PV) Installations is the current industry "Best Practice Guide" and has advice on earthing arrangements within it.  The dti guide can be downloaded from our downloads page.

The guide is currently undergoing a re-write and will be rereleased very soon.  The update will be available from our website as soon as it is released.

Earthing of

an Electric
Car Charger

Do I Need To Install an Earth Electrode for an Electric Car Charger?

I was asked this question recently by one of our regular Renewable energies clients who is installing an electric car charger at his business in Birmingham.  The building is typical business park construction with large metal girders and metal skin.  The earthing arrangement is TN-C-S.

The government steering group for this technology are currently writing the new standard for it and they have included the installation of an earth electrode if a TN-C-S arrangement is in use.  I do not agree with them on this particular occasion but that's my personal opinion.  As the standard isn't published there is no technical reason I can think of for complying with it, however, British Gas have already began to install to this standard so if the installation is being carried out by them then an electrode will be required.

bottom of page